If you want to get a sneak peek into the world of work or even think that starting a business might be for you, but you need some inspiration, know-how and support then this programme will suit you down to the ground.
Innovateher is an entrepreneurial programme that runs over 12 workshops giving you the opportunity to develop valuable and practical experience in business and entrepreneurship.
By signing up to Innovateher you will...
Develop vital business skills
You will improve your skills that are oh so important in the world of work, like how to:
- Negotiate and persuade
- Think creatively
- Give presentations
- Work as part of a team
- Network with other individuals
To do this, you will take part in fun and interactive sessions led by people who are highly respected in their fields.
This year will see a variety of workshops lead by successful female businesswomen and entrepreneurs, including:
- Helen Keys (serial entrepreneur and Queen's Entrepreneur in Residence) will spill the beans on everything from generating a business idea to writing a business plan and working out the financial details
- Sarah Travers (successful journalist, reporter and business woman) and business partner Camilla Long will train participants up on how to successfully master that board room pitch
- Joanne Casey (successful entrepreneur and digital marketer) will divulge her knowledge of marketing and how to grab those customers online.
Become business savvy
You will get the chance to go to lots of training sessions, which focus on important areas like:
- Honing in on a business idea that works
- Writing your business model canvas
- Approaching marketing and PR
- Carrying out market research
- Understanding the financial side of business
- Developing a business that is socially responsible
There are many exciting trips planned this year to see a business in action. In the past, we have hit:
- The Botanic Inns Headquarters where Linda Rodgers, Sales and Marketing Manager talked about the magic of marketing
- Invest NI where research was the name of the game
- Fablabs to get an insight into product design, creation and development
- Women in Business NI events at Black Box, Shu and Malone House
Meet ambitious female entrepreneurs
You will meet a variety of respected local business women in Northern Ireland.
You can listen and learn from their first-hand experiences and pick their brains for the best advice around, as well as developing your own professional network.
Here are just a few who have joined us to share their entrepreneurial journey in the past:
- Stephanie Gowdy, Student Recruitment Senior Manager at PWC
- Orla Smyth, Founder of ‘Kaffeo’, a Nordic coffee shop
- Sinead Murphy, Founder of ‘Shnuggle’, a company that manufactures innovative baby products
- Shauna Burns, Commercial and Strategy Director at 'QA Travel'
Gain vital commercial insight
Loads of the sessions will give you the chance to get off-campus to visit lots of business venues and gain vital commercial insight. You could be jetting off to places like:
- Stormont Parliament Buildings
- Ulster Bank Headquarters
- The New York Stock Exchange
- The MAC
- Entrepreneurial Spark
Network, network, network
It's really important in business to have a good network of people that you can use to your advantage.
You will meet lots of people (who are in high places) whom you can create relationships with and maybe even use their help to get you where you want to go.
Master the boardroom pitch
At the end of the programme, you will get the chance to pitch a business idea to a panel of experts (for example, Helen Kirkpatrick non-executive Director at UTV, Roseann Kelly CEO of Women in Business and Louise Black consulting senior manager at PWC) and you could even win money for your efforts, which could be put towards your startup idea.
Upon completion of the programme, you will be invited to a graduation celebration event in Queen’s Great Hall to receive your certificate, win prizes and network with everyone who has taken part in the programme.
Furthermore, as a particpant of Innovateher you will be eligible for a Queen's Degree Plus Award - Route A - an amazing addition to your degree which will really wow employers!
Applications for 2017/18 have now closed.
Contact us now to register your inerest for not year or why not set up a one-to-one with us and find out how to get involved in our other opportunities - email email@example.com to set up an appointment.