Equality and Diversity
Equality & Diversity
I’m Hamsa, and as your Student Officer Equality & Diversity, I’m here to ensure every student in Queen’s is treated fairly and equally and is able to access all structures of the university.
I represent the interests of all students who are international, mature, parents, carers, disabled, LGBT+, women, BAME and of all religious denominations (or none at all).
This year I aim to:
- Cultivate a liberation focussed approach to representation in our union - by creating spaces for and empowering BAME, women, LGBT+ and disabled students through awareness and education campaigns.
- Making our university accessible to all students - especially underrepresented groups such as parents & carers, part-time, mature and international students; by increasing their visibility on campus, and working to ensure all structures of the university are accessible to all students.
- Engaging students - through task forces, forums, ambassador schemes and social-justice campaigns, to have our student body heard and listened to, both in the university and beyond- by wider society and our government.
The Student Officer Equality & Diversity:
- Makes sure every student at Queen’s is treated equally and fairly
- Supports events that promote diversity and greater cultural understanding