About the SU
Queen’s Students’ Union is the representative body of all Queen’s students. Our role is to provide a range of student focused services that meet and exceed your expectations as a member. From the moment you begin your time at Queen’s we want to be able to provide you with whatever it is you need to make your time at university worthwhile, enjoyable and filled with new experiences. We want you to shake your funky stuff to the world class sounds coming from our live gigs, we want you to laugh your socks off at our comedy nights, to earn a few quid in one of our part time jobs, we want to advise and support you on any financial, welfare or housing issues and we want to represent you when times get really tough.
The Students’ Union is run by seven elected Student Officers, a management team and a range of both full time and part time staff. Student Officers are elected each year in March and every Queen’s student is allowed and encouraged to put themselves forward for a role and also to vote. Currently the positions are:
VP Campaigns & Communications
VP Clubs & Societies
VP Equality & Diversity
The Student Officers are answerable to the student council which consists of 100 student members from across the various faculties and years of study. Student Council elections take place in October on a yearly basis and once again, everyone is encouraged to either put themselves forward as a candidate or vote for someone you would like to get elected. The Student Council and elected Officers work together to ensure that each decision made by the Students’ Union is a decision that is beneficial to students.
YOUR UNION. YOUR PLAN. YOUR SAY.
In March 2011, we asked over 1,000 of you what you were concerned about, what you wanted from your Union and about ways in which it could be better.
We listened very carefully to what you said and wrote a new plan to guide the Union''s work to 2015 and achieve our mission. We''re focusing on seven areas of work and have secured £180,000 to get us there. Read and download ''Your Plan" below.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
- Over one fifth of Queen’s students visit the Students’ Union on a daily basis
- 72% of students are aware of the Student Advice Centre
- 40% of students voted in the last student election
- 47% of students agree that the eating places in the SU cater for all price ranges
- Only 24% of students are aware that profits generated from bars & the SU shop are reinvested
- 66% of students rated the provision of student focused entertainment as either ‘fairly good’ or ‘very good’
- 45% of students would like to see more local bands playing in the Students’ Union.
- 51% of students rate the Union’s role in representing the views of students to the university and other bodies is either ‘fairly good’ of ‘very good’
- 48% of students are ‘very satisfied’ with the overall offering from the Students’ Union