Skip to main content

Changing Course

Deciding on which course at university is perfect for you can be difficult, especially when the options are so vast. Sometimes students may start a course and then decide that it may not be the course for them. Many students find themselves in this situation each year and it is perfectly normal. It is important that you are on the right degree which will lead you to achieving your career aspirations. If you think that you want to change course, you can look to do this either within Queens or to another institution if you feel that is best for you.

Sometimes you may find yourself at a bit of a crossroads with regards to which course is going to be the best in leading you to be successful in your chosen career path. It can be helpful to get a bit of guidance and advice on this. You may want to reach out to the Careers, Employability and Skills Service to discuss your options as far as this is concerned.

 If you haven’t been able to find the information your looking for please contact us here - I'd Like Some More Advice.

  • Internal Transfers

    If you have found another course within Queens University that you think is better suited to you, then you can investigate an internal transfer. At the start of the year there is usually a short window of two weeks in which a student can try to transfer from one course to another.

    The first step in this process is to speak with your Adviser of Studies. You will be able to discuss your options with them and they may be able to help you come to the best decision on which course of action to take.

    If you have made a firm decision, you can contact the Admissions Officer in the School that runs the course you are looking to transfer to. They will be able to make you aware whether or not there is space on the course you are looking to transfer to and indeed what the course requirements are. In some cases there may not be any availability in this academic year, but you may have the option to consider a deferred transfer. This means that you would start the new course in the following academic year.

    If you are permitted to transfer, the process is usually completed via QSIS with both your current School and the School you are hoping to move to having agreed to the transfer.

    If you are deferring your transfer, it will be up to you if you wish to continue with your current course for that year or if you wish to take a Temporary Withdrawal with a view to returning when the new course commences.

    In some cases if the courses are very similar, you may be able to transfer or carry over credits from your current course so continuing may be beneficial. This is something your Adviser of Studies can discuss with you.

  • External Transfers

    If you decide, after having a taste of student life and study at Queens, that perhaps it is not the right place or course for you and that you would be better suited to another institution or location, then you may decide that you want to transfer to a different university.

    You will need to contact the chosen University that you wish to transfer to in order to establish what their process is and indeed if there is availability for the course and if you have the necessary credentials to join them. Again, we would encourage you to speak with your Adviser of Studies in the first instance to make them aware of your intentions.

    Once you have made a firm decision to leave Queens, you will need to complete the withdrawal from study process. This is completed on Qsis. Once this has been done it may not be possible to reverse this decision, so we recommend ensuring that you have thought very carefully before proceeding with this.

    Things to Consider

    • If as noted above you are required to defer your transfer, it will be a year longer before you complete your degree.
    • There may be financial implications on changing your course. It is important to consider what these may be and to be aware of what your liabilities are. You should contact SU Advice about this.
    • International Students may experience visa implications as a result of changing course. You should contact the International Student Support Service to discuss this.
    • If you are in Queens Accommodation, withdrawing from study may mean that you are required to leave your accommodation. Speak with Queen’s Accommodation as soon as you can.
    • If you have signed a contract for a private rented property, then you will still be bound to this agreement and will still be responsible for the financial obligations you have under this. If you would like further advice on your options here, please contact us for further information.

    Changing course whether internally or externally can be a big decision, if you would like to discuss the process or seek clarity on any of that noted above, please contact us - I'd Like Some More Advice.